I’ve been writing, directing, and producing television shows and segments for basically two decades. Yikes! It’s funny because nowadays, anyone with any i-device or camera can shoot their own videos. They may not know what they are doing, but YouTube doesn’t care!
They say that ‘video’ is the newest, greatest “thing” on the internet and yet that is so funny to the TV and film professionals out there…since both have been going strong for about a century. When I first left my “day job” as a TV producer to travel around the world, I honestly had no desire to shoot video. It’s what I’d already been doing for my career — albeit with a crew consisting of a cameraman, stagehand/grip, and sometimes an editor. So I was ready to take a break! But I eventually did start making some special videos here and there highlighting my travels. And I am also a video consultant and coach, helping others produce great videos!
If you want to stay up to date with my video content, please subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Here is a roundup of 10 different kinds of travel videos I’ve made since I started traveling full time:
1. Chicago-Centric Videos
You all know how much I love my city, but I invite you to watch these videos and fall in love for yourself.
- It’s Electric! A Boat Ride on the Chicago River
- 24 Hours on the Chicago River: My Night at the Museum
- The Sport of Boxing in Chicago
- Come Sail Away on Chicago’s Lake Michigan
- Indy Car Ride on the Streets of Chicago
2. Adventure Travel Videos
You can come on the adventure with me just by watching these videos!
3. Road Trip Videos
Who doesn’t love a good road trip?
4. Destination Overviews
These videos show a variety of locations and experiences within a single country and might inspire you to visit.
- Upper Rhine Valley in a Minute
- Tanzania on Safari
- Norway in a Minute
- Travel to Bhutan in Video
- What to do in Guadalajara
5. Feels Like You’re There Videos
These videos drop you right into the experience whether it’s riding public transit in Portugal or staying at a fancy resort in Mexico.
- Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Riding Lisbon Tram 28
- Treasures in Shenzhen’s Lotus Hill Park
- I’ve hit bottom… bottom of the world – Patagonia
One of my favorite parts of traveling is meeting people around the world. Sometimes they’re so cool I even interview them.
- Rob Greenfield – Dumpster Diving and raising awareness of wasted food in America
- Jessica Watson — Graphic Artist lives around the US for one year with Airbnb
- Fire Captain in Antarctica
- Mile Nerd – The No Nonsense Frequent Flier Mile Expert
- Warren and Betsy Talbot of Married with Luggage
- Traveler Interview – “Dino” Don Lessem
7. Colombia-Centric Videos
This one is a little out of left field, but I really loved Colombia when I visited and shot a lot of video as a result.
- Villa de Leyva
- Medellín: The Highlights
- A Day at the Beach – Majagua near Cartagena
- The Caribbean Feel of Cartagena
8. Christmas Videos
I’ve heard it’s the most wonderful time of the year.
9. Tutorial Videos
Sometimes a girl’s gotta toot her own horn…I also do video consulting and help small businesses, entrepreneurs, and YOU learn how to improve the video you have or learn how to start.
10. Inspirational Videos
Well, hopefully they’re all inspirational.
A Little Travel Inspiration
If you want to stay up to date with new video content, you should please subscribe to my youtube channel!