The Last Shangri-La
Have you ever dreamed of going to Shangri-La? Or even wondered if there really was such a place? I have stayed at the wonderfully luxurious Shangri-La Hotels in Vancouver, Hong Kong and Shenzhen, but what about the real thing? Well, there is no real thing exactly – it’s a mythical place that was first described in James Hilton’s 1933 novel Lost Horizon. He describes “Shangri-La” as a mystical, harmonious valley and now it’s become synonymous with sort of a Himalayan utopia. Many say that Bhutan is the last Shangri-La.
This “Land of the Thunder Dragon” is the world’s youngest democracy. And their guiding philosophy?
Gross National Happiness
Sounds good to me.
If you are following my LLworldtour Facebook Page, you already know that next week, I am going to Bhutan. If you are not, you probably should go ‘like’ it to see my daily updates and photos. Go ahead. I’ll wait.
Where is Bhutan, you ask? Well it’s right here (find that tiny red spot):
Tradition, culture and environment are fiercely protected here making tourism a bit difficult. Bhutan ranks among the world’s top travel destinations, but very few make it here because of their “high value, low impact” tourism policy. Plus, get this: tourism only started here in 1974. It’s about as old as me.
I will be a guest of the long-standing adventure travel company: Exodus Travels as an initiative with Navigate Media Group, a blogger collective that I am a part of that creates comprehensive digital marketing strategies for brands and destinations. Three others in my group are also exploring far corners of the earth with Exodus all this month:
Be sure to follow along on their trips which are happening all throughout April:
- GoSeeWrite is in Costa Rica
- Ottsworld is trekking through exotic Oman
- Bacon is Magic will be cruising through the Galapagos
(You can see each of their itineraries by clicking on the links above)
It will be a fun month of wildlife, cycling, trekking, and discovering with Exodus in four very different and unique ways.
What’s in it for YOU?
1) Exodus has given me a 10% discount code for just my readers. Just quote “BLOG” when you book a trip with Exodus and you’ll save several hundred bucks off most of their trips! You should check out some of their tours, they are pretty impressive.
2) And all year they are also offering a way to win a trip for free with their Feel More Alive contest. Moments from travel are often some of the most exciting in our lives and Exodus is assembling a huge collection of these moments by asking people to submit videos and photos of a moment that made them “feel more alive.” It is a monthly contest, which means you have multiple chances to win. Just upload a photo or video to the site and every month Exodus chooses one winner that inspires them, celebrates adventure, and represents the value of “feeling more alive through travel.”
Feel More Alive is a monthly contest, which means you have multiple chances to win. Which trip excites you? Check out all their tours here. And tell me below in the comments where you want to go?
Terms and conditions of the Discount
1. Each blog reader who books any Exodus trip between 1 March – 31 May 2013 will receive a 10% discount.
2. The offer is open to first time travelers only.
3. Only one discount per booking.
4. This offer is only valid for people booking directly with Exodus
5. There is no cash alternative and no correspondence will be entered into.
6. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with other Exodus offers or loyalty discounts.
7. Exodus has the right to withdraw or change this introductory offer at anytime The discount will be applied to the final balance, not the deposit payment.
Disclosure: I will be a guest of Exodus as a part of a Navigate Media Group project. As always, all views here are my own.