With Egypt in the news, I wanted to share some photos of friendly faces I encountered there during my visit there in January 2009.
To bring you up to speed on recent events:
- Tens of thousands of anti-government demonstrators have taken to the streets demanding an end to President Hosni Mubarak’s 30-year rule.
- Protests started weeks after similar protests in Tunisia which caused their president to flee the country
- In 1979, Egypt was the first Arab nation to sign a peace treaty with Israel cementing its relationship with the U.S.
- Egypt has received annual aid from the U.S. averaging around $2 billion since.
- The U.S. Embassy in Cairo is now closed indefinitely